Thursday, March 25, 2010

Just a trial -- For a change


After the last post, I felt I need to try something new for the breakfast. Again something easy and primarily needs to be approved by my hubby. So came with the idea of Rava idly. Waiting for the weekend, I decided to try it out. I had some rice idly batter in my fridge as a back-up, in case my rava idly doesn’t come out good. But fortunately, it came out well and was approved by the taste buds of my better half.

Rava Idly:



Ingredients:

Sooji/Rava                                       --  2 cups
Vegetables (carrot, beans etc)        --  as required
Green chillies                                  --  4 or 5
Ginger                                            --   1 inch piece
Curry leaves                                   --   few
Curd                                               --  1 cup
Baking soda                                   --  a pinch
Mustard seeds                                --  1 tsp
Urad dal                                        --  1 tsp
Asafoetida                                     --  ¼ tsp
Salt                                                --  to taste

Preparation of the idly:

Heat the oil in a pan. Add the mustard seeds and let crackle. Add urad dal and asafoetida. Add salt, chopped green chillies, ginger, and curry leaves. Then add rava and stir in low/medium flame until it turns light brown in colour. Add the chopped vegetables if required.

Place the mixture in a big bowl and add the baking soda and curd to the mixture. Mix well. This should be same as the idly batter consistency. Keep it aside for 30 minutes. If the mixture gets thickened, add more water or curd.

Pour the batter into idly maker and steam for 5 to 7 minutes in an idly cooker. 

Recipe Courtesy: Internet

4 comments:

  1. i dint know rava idili was so easy ;) will surely try it out. Is the rava the normal one or anything special for the idli?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes da.. Its the normal one which we use for upma.. Roast it or get roasted rava...

    ReplyDelete
  3. superb one da ... I love this anytime .. Whenever guests come , I make this in no time and they all think I am super fast cook . I wish this secret is never known to my ignorant guests.
    First time here and u have a wonderful space da .. I am glad to follow you

    ReplyDelete