Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Uzhunnu Vada(revisited) with Coconut Chutney

I was not satisfied with the pics of Uzhunnu Vada which  I had posted earlier. So here comes the next version with some coconut chutney. I was relying on the store bought coconut chutney distributed by Deep. And one fine day I was out of stock and then came back to my mom’s good own recipe.

Uzhunnu Vada 3

For Uzhunnu Vada, I followed the same old measures. Please link back my old post for the recipe.

Uzhunnu Vada 1

Coconut Chutney:

Uzhunnu Vada 5

Ingredients (Serves 4 - 5):
Coconut, grated   --   1 cup
Channa dal             --   1 tbsp
Green Chillies        --   2 - 3, use according to the spice level
Coriander leaves  --  ¼ cup, loosely packed
Tamarind                --   a very small ball / ½ tsp of tamarind paste
Ginger                      --   1 inch piece
Salt                            --   to taste
Water                       --   approximately ¼ cup. Adjust according to the consistency required.
Oil                              --   1 tbsp
Mustard seeds      --   1 tsp
Red chillies            --   2 - 3
Curry Leaves        --   1 spring
Preparation:
Coarsely grind together coconut, channa dal, green chillies, coriander leaves, tamarind, ginger,salt and water. Empty it into a bowl.
Heat oil and splutter the mustard seeds, add red chillies and curry leaves. Switch off the flame and pour it over the ground chutney.
Uzhunnu Vada 4

Serve with hot Vadas. This goes well with idly, dosa, upma etc. I add more water if preparing for idly or dosa.


Recipe Courtesy: Amma

11 comments:

  1. Uzhunnvadum chammanthium adipoli.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delicious combo and looks appetizing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome pics dear..And chutney too. Although I never added tamarind in it.


    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful clicks dear...Vada looks so crispy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow the vada looks perfectly round and fluffy. I can never seem to make them with the hole in the middle so i just scoop the batter using and ice cream scoop and drop it in oil. I am bookmarking the chutney recipe

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not so fond of vadas ( the only one at home actually ) but these pictures make me want to make them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow perfect round and delicious,kothiyavunnu

    ReplyDelete
  8. Omg, wat a super tempting crispies, would love to have some..

    ReplyDelete