Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Lemon Cake

The yummy and flavorful cake… I did not have an idea how this would be until I made this. Me being someone who does not prefer tanginess, the only motivation was that I could click beautiful pics decorating lemon pieces. Does that sound weird??? But I was the one who completed almost three-fourth of the cake :)
Now it is not the Spider Solitare that keeps me away from blogging. It is something else. I am waiting for something and the tension – not really tensed, but just the thoughts about it, does not even allow me to log onto blogger, browse through FB & orkut. The only thing I do on my system is refresh my mails. Hope I get the results very soon. Friends…You know the next.. Please wish me good luck.
Now coming back to lemon cake. I had seen few beautiful clicks from my fellow bloggers and wanted to try this out. All my hope was on AJ who has a great love for all sour tastes and I was sure that I am not going to have more that a piece to taste. But things were not as expected, I really loved the sweetness of honey and sourness of lemon and especially the nice aroma of the cake. And poor AJ couldn’t accept the idea of sourness in a cake which was supposed to be sweet. Still he managed to have it with tea for a couple of days (Secret – I did not prepare anything else, so his hunger would accept anything).
Here it goes…
Lemon Cake 6
Ingredients:
            All purpose Flour     --   1 ½ cups
            Baking Powder          --   ¼ tsp
            Baking Soda                --   ¼ tsp
           Granulated Sugar      --   1 cup
           Honey                             --   4 tbsp
           Unsalted Butter          --   4 tbsp
           Medium Eggs               --   3
           Grated Lemon zest    --   1 tbsp
           Fresh Lemon juice     --   5 tbsp
           Yogurt                            --   4 tbsp
           Milk                                  --   2 tbsp
           Water                              --   1 tbsp
           Vanilla essence          --   ½ tsp
            Salt                                 --   ½ tsp
Preparation of the cake:
Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease one 8x4 inch loaf pan.
Sift together the flour, baking powder,salt and baking soda in a bowl. Keep aside
Cream the butter, 3/4 cup granulated sugar and honey in a bowl until light and fluffy. Now, add the eggs, one at a time, and then the lemon zest.
Lemon Cake 1    Lemon Cake 2
In another bowl, combine 2 tbsp of lemon juice, yogurt,milk and vanilla. Add the flour and buttermilk mixtures alternately to the batter, beginning and ending with the flour.
Pour the batter into the pan, smooth the top, and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until a cake tester comes out clean.
Lemon Cake 3     Lemon Cake 4
Combine ¼ cup granulated sugar with the remaining 3 TBSP lemon juice and 1 Tbsp water in a small saucepan and cook over low heat until the sugar dissolves and makes a syrup. When the cake is done, let it cool for 10 minutes, then invert them onto a rack set over a tray. Prick the cake all over with a skewer and spoon the lemon syrup over the cake. Allow the cake to cool completely.Serve.
Lemon Cake 5
You can decorate as per your wish.
Lemon Cake 7

48 comments:

  1. I love citrusy flavor in baked goodies and this one looks amazing..baked to perfection!

    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lemon cake looks delicious. I love anything tangy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow perfect loaf cake..looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks wonderful..wish i could have some now..nice clicks too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Waw...Ur lemon cake has turned out perfect...I was searching for a good recipe...my last attempt was a flop..bookmarked this one...
    Happy Diwali to U n family
    http://www.panchamrutham.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,

    The lemon cake looks amazing...:0

    Dr.Sameena@

    http://www.myeasytocookrecipes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perfect loaf and love the flavour of lemon and no wonder u finished the max.All the luck for whatever u r waiting for and a happy Diwali too.
    FOODELICIOUS

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tangy cake looks moist and delicious....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super moist cake looks super delicious..love citrus flavour in bakes..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome cake.....looking really good.
    Biny

    ReplyDelete
  11. im not a big fan of citrussy stuff but ive made orange n lemon drizzle cake quite a few times n have gulped it down :)
    it looks super moist

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, that is an awesome looking cake,too good. Wishing u and ur family a joyous Diwali.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kittiyo?? expect cheythirikkunna sadanam?? tell us when u got it okie...
    Loved the clicks..looks so tempting..i have the same tea set ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Delicious cake,love citrus flavored cake..this is perfectly baked.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely and delicious lemon cake nitha!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love it...my hubby's fav...(I know your better half thinks the other way :-)
    Happy Deepawali to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yummy lemon cake....
    Nice click Nitha...:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. awesome Lemon cake Nitha. very moist and crumbly.
    also wish you and your family a very happy Diwali.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Citrus cakes are my fav they look splendid :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. WOW!! Loved the first pic..Gorgeous looking cake!! Superb presentation, Nitha..Wish you Good Luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. yummmmmmmmmmmm,,,it looks so perfect.
    Enjoy and happy cooking,
    Nikki
    http://titilating-tastebuds.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. wow awesome cake ........looks so yummy .........

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love citrus flavoured cakes and this looks just perfect

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wish you and family a happy and prosperous Diwali

    ReplyDelete
  25. Dear Neetha
    Thank you for your greetings. I wish you a very happy Deepawali. God bless you.
    I was in Saudi, so missed this post. It is very nice. WIll soon read all the posts that I have missed.
    have a nice weekend

    ReplyDelete
  26. Talk about the perfection! Your lemon cake looks stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  27. what a lovely blog you have the cake sure is super good!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Perfect cake....looks soft 'n moist!

    ReplyDelete
  29. The Cake blew me away...it is baked to perfection,and I like the fact that you show the crust part,it almost had me drooling on my lap top....*smiles*I will be visiting more often so I have added myself to your follow list.

    ReplyDelete
  30. it looks delicious...and nice presentation too..

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi dear,there is an award for u herehttp://seduceyourtastebuds.blogspot.com/2010/11/purple-cabbage-rice.html
    kindly collect it

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow..... what an amazing snaps!!! Yummy cake...

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love lemon cakes and this one looks gorgeous.
    Have posted a lemon cake on my blog recently too.

    Congratulations for your new job and i wish for your success ...:)

    ReplyDelete
  34. love the picture.. when i buy cake , i first look for lemon flavor.. i cannot say how happy i was when i saw this post.. thanks

    new to ur space and happy to follow u for more wonderful recipes..

    do visit my space when u get time
    http://comeletseat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love lemon cakes and yours looks delicious.
    I´ll try it.
    Kisses from Spain-Europe

    ReplyDelete
  36. Nitha
    Lovely cake..I wud like to try it..When should I add salt..After adding Lemon zest or is ther any particular stage.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Thanks Rakhi.. I ve updated the post. You can add salt with the flour.

    ReplyDelete