Friday, July 23, 2010

Beef Pickle



I am not a person who is fond of pickles. I do not like the hot tangy taste of it. But when it comes to something non-veg, the story is different. If I have a bottle of pickle on my dining table, then why should I worry about another non-veg dish for the meal? That makes my work easier.

When I came here in Dec, I had loads of fish pickle which we finished in a month and from that day onwards AJ was asking me to prepare some pickle – either fish or chicken or beef.  Every time I get something for the pickle and end up in preparing something else with that. Finally we got some beef, and I grabbed a bigger pkt so that I don’t miss the pickle this time J










Ingredients:

Beef                                       --   ½ kg
Chilly powder                        --    3 tsp (adjust according to the hotness required)
Garlic                                    --    10 – 12 cloves
Ginger                                   --    1 big piece
Fenugreek                             --    ½ tsp
Asafoetida                             --    ½ tsp
Curry leaves                           --   2 springs
Mustard Seeds                       --   ½ tsp
Vinegar                                  --    5 tbsp
Sesame Oil                            --    7 tbsp
Salt                                        --    to taste

Preparation of Beef Pickle:

Cut the beef into cubes and wash them at least 5 – 6 times under running water.

Marinate the beef with salt, ½ tsp turmeric powder, 1 tsp chilly powder, 2 tsp coriander powder, 2 tsp of garam masala and ½tsp ginger garlic paste. Keep aside for 15- 20 minutes.

Pressure cook it for 5 -6 whistles without adding water. Water will ooze out of the meat.

Empty this into a pan and cook on a low flame until all of the water evaporates. Add 2 tbsp of oil onto the beef and fry well. Keep aside

 

Crush the ginger and garlic and keep aside. Make sure u doesn’t grind them.


Add rest of the oil in a pan and splutter the mustard seeds. Add the crushed ginger garlic and fry until they turn light brown. Add the chilly powder and turn off the flame. 

 

Then mix the vinegar and the curry leaves. Add the fried beef and mix well. Powder the fenugreek and the asafoetida and add to the pickle.


Let it cool and store in an air tight container.


35 comments:

  1. Looks so yummy Nitha, non veg pickles are favourite for me too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I use chicken? which part of the chicken would you recommend? Looks delish! ( ilove south Indian non-veg pickles...never made them, but this looks so good, I'd love to try it)!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also Nitha, can I use sarson oil...(don't have sesame oil on hand)?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adipoli pickle..pickles are my fav, njan veruthe vare erunu kazhikum achar :-)

    Love
    Suji

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beef picke looks delicious. Nice one Nitha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Though I dont eat beef would love to make this with chicken! New to me but looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super super duper... no other words to explain this Nitha. lovely.. i am drooling.

    ReplyDelete
  8. lovely presentation dear...very tempting clicks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. reminding me of my moms cooking.....itz mouth watering yaar

    ReplyDelete
  10. gr8 wrk dear.Made some 2 months back to parcel to my bro in russia..

    ReplyDelete
  11. pickle looks delicious...does it need refrigeration?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beef pickle superb!! Love it with rice and even with chapatis/idli..I am a big fan of pickles, veettil ethu samayathum oru 5-6 pickles enkilum kannum..Enikku chorrinu curry ellenkilum pickle venom :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. @ Cooking Blog Indexer: Pretty sure that this will remain good atleast a week. I never had the chance to keep in the refrigerator. You can add in more vinegar if you are plannign to store for a long time. That can increase the life of pickles..

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks delicious we make it without the fenugreek

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great recipe and looks delicious, shall try this sometime....

    http://treatntrick.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Woww wat a droolworthy and mouthwatering pickle...looks yummy..

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very interesting recipe.... Looks so good. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the step by step pics, i have heard my friends loving this pickle so much, i dont eat beef, but my husband doesnt mind having :) ....they look delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. oh this is great..was jus looking fr a beef pickle recipe...

    ReplyDelete
  20. wow luks delicious amd very tempting clicks...ilove nonveg pickles... happy to see dis recipe.. well expalined... first time here u have a lovely space and good collection of recipes.. if u find time visit my blog.. happy to follow u

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey Nitha,I have a suggestion.Please change the Post title colour as it is blending in with your template,almost making it invisible.Hope you don't mind my two cents!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. One of my personal favorite... Remember having it from a friend's place... the thought itself is making me drool... bookmarked...

    ReplyDelete
  23. awesome Nitha..jus love those fish n beef pickles..:)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Long time since I had this.
    Once upon a time making this was cost effective but now the price of this holy flesh is the same as that bird (chicken) the only thing cheaper than this is pork !!

    ReplyDelete
  25. HI Nitha, thanks for stopping by at my blog, I hope when u try bread next time tips for shaping the loaf will be helpful. Now for the pickle, I love those but have never tried my hands on it, Beef pickle looks & sounds good but if u have recipe for chicken & fish version please post that too. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love beef pickle..i have some my mom packed for me...
    this looks so good..yummy yumm!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love all kinds of pickle and of course this and fish pickle are my most fav :-)Looks fabulous Nitha

    ReplyDelete
  28. very drooling pic and awesome recipe..thnx so much for sharing it :)

    Dear, plz do collect an award for you from mine :).. happy blogging :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hello u have a great space:) and the beef pickle looks so tasty...
    http://rumanarawat.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  30. pl give measurements for marinating the beef - wld like to try this one out,thnks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey - I just realized that I havent given the measurements there. Thanks for letting me know. I have updated the post.

      Delete