Thursday, October 14, 2010

Lemon Rice

This is another flavorful – easy to prepare – yummy rice. You can make this either with the left over rice or cook rice for this as such. This is one of my quick lunch box items / lunch for weekends.

Lemon Rice 4

Ingredients:

         Rice                             --   1 ½ cups (I used Sona Masoori)
         Turmeric powder --   ½ tsp
         Mustard seeds       --   ½ tsp
         Urad dal                   --   1 tbsp
         Dried red chili        --   2 – 3
         Peanuts                     --   ½ cup
         Asafetida                 --   a pinch
         Curry leaves           --   1 spring
        Ginger                        --   1 tsp
        Green Chillies          --   2 – 3
        Lemon juice             --   3 tbsp
        Oil                                 --   2 tbsp
        Salt                              --   to taste

Lemon Rice 6

Preparation of Lemon Rice:

Wash and soak the rice for about half an hour. Drain the water and cook the rice with salt and turmeric powder. Keep aside.

Heat oil in a pan, add the mustard seeds, when its starts to splutter, add asafetida, red chillies and fry them for a minute.Add the urad dal and saute for few seconds till they turn light brown. If using left over rice, add the turmeric powder in the oil along with asafetida. This helps to give an even yellow colour while mixing the rice.

Toss in the peanuts and curry leaves. Stir fry for few seconds.

Lemon Rice 1    Lemon Rice 2

Now add the cooked rice and mix well with the spices. Add lemon juice and toss the rice again.

Lemon Rice 3

34 comments:

  1. Again, a close-up shot! Makes me terribly drooling. So hungry right now and it's close to lunch time! hehehe ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore the lemon rice, esp. when served with some quality curry. :-))

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  3. love this rice... perfect color 'n nice presentation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks so yummy, great presentation too...

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favourite anytime, love very much lemon rice that too along with spicy potato fries..mouthwatering..

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks so colourful and flavorful.. love the presentation too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. lovely colour combo...lovely recipe....

    ReplyDelete
  8. So tangy and yummy, your briyani also looks very delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gee this reminds me of my Hostel during my College days and unlike my roomies I liked it..hehe
    Also same pinch, I have the same serving bowl, have used it in many of my pics :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. simple n quick one..my fav tooo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lemon rice looks yum...i usually do it once a week

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks so perfect and colorful..love this rice,great presentation Nitha

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nitha ithu oru easy breezy rice annu. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely rice!! This is my fav too pakshe Akhilnu athra eshtamillatha kondu vallapozhume undakkarullu :(

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's best looking lemon rice I have seen!

    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  16. love the color of it....quick n easy lunch menu

    ReplyDelete
  17. wow ente fav ayirunnu school il padikkunna kalathu ippol kazhichittu othiri nal ayi

    ReplyDelete
  18. nice delicious recipes in your blog. beautiful pictures too. do stop by my blog. cheers:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. love love lemon rice:)...it is the best wa to usel eft over rice too...isnt it?....nice pic da..

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks like you are having an amazing rice fest in ur kitchen...
    I love this..looks so perfect and yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I LOVE lemon rice....the pictures are making my mouth water.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Adipoli..loved the color and lemony flavor.YUM!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I always wanted to make Lemon Rice , somehow never could get a chance !
    Wil try soon .. Thnx for sharing dear

    Nupur
    UK Rasoi

    ReplyDelete