Thursday, April 1, 2010

Chutney Podi (Dosa Podi)


I had never got a chance to have chutney podi along with idly or dosa, until my uncle married my aunt who was from Malappuram/Palakkad. She introduced this tasty dish at our home. I was really surprised how my grand mother missed out such a yummy and easy item. I think this is a specialty of Tamilians and was popular only in the Kerala - Tamil Nadu border ie Palakkad JJ  I did not have any clue on the ingredients in this podi and even my mother too. I then consulted my mother-in-law. She was very much used to this, but had never prepared it at home.

So the next rely was internet. I found the recipe in a blog - SpicyChilly. Before I went for the first trial, I got a chance to have the podi from my friends place, which was prepared by her mother. So I gave a try mixing both the recipes together; with more ingredients... Of course just a mix of different kind of dals..

I should have added this along with the post 'Easy Breakfast'. This makes idly/dosa even more easy for breakfast.



Ingredients:

Red chillies                          --   1 cup
Urad dal                               --   2 cups
Toor dal                               --   ½ cup
Split Bengal gram               --   ¼ cup
Fenugreek                           --    3 tbsp
Raw Rice                              --   1 tbsp
Sesame seeds                      --   1 tbsp
Asafoetida                            --   1 tsp
Garlic                                --   5 medium sized cloves
Oil                                          --   2 tsp
Salt                                        --    to taste

Preparation:

Heat 1 tsp of oil in a pan and fry the dry chillies. Keep them aside.


Heat the left over oil and fry all other ingredients until the dals become light golden in colour. Let it cool.


Grind them to a coarse powder and store in an airtight container once cool.Take the required amount and mix with oil or ghee to serve with idly / dosa / tapioca / rice.


Recipe Courtesy:  Inspired by SpicyChilly



1 comment: