Saturday, July 26, 2014

Baingan Bhurtha

It has been long time since I wrote something here other than the recipes. It wouldn’t be completely true if I say I got “Busy” with work, my lil one, household chores etc.. It is just the matter of priority everywhere. And now the main reason why I wanted to write up something here is because, I wanted to boast out that this curry is made from the home made eggplants. No Not me in the garden – All credits to my mom, dad & AJ. The only thing  I did was to choose the eggplant plant from the store. And may be watered it once or twice. But still it’s a great feeling to see the fruits and flowers in our own garden.

Now that I started my write up, I wish I could see the page full. But what to write about? Life is going on with not much happenings – Or I would like to look at it from the other corner. Every thing and every day is special, so what do I choose to express here.  Now that I have already spent 15 – 20 mins on what to write, I give up for now J. Let me try next time.

Baingan Bhartha 3

Ingredients (Serves 5 - 6):

Eggplant                     --    1lb , I used 5 as in the below picture
Onions                         --   1 large
Ginger Garlic paste --   2 tsp, or you can use fresh ginger and garlic crushed
Tomatoes                  --   2 large
Asofoetida                --   1 pinch
Turmeric                   --    ½ tsp
Frozen peas              --   ½ cup, optional
Coriander powder  --   2 tsp
Cumin powder         --   1 tsp
Garam Masala          --   1tsp
Red Chili Powder    --   1 tsp
Green Chilies            --   2
Coriander leaves    --   5 sprigs, for garnishing
Oil                                 --   2 tbsp
Salt                               --   to taste

Preparation:

Pre-heat the oven at 400 degrees, keep the eggplants in a oven-proof dish and cook for 45 mins to 1 hour. The skin should be loose and will start to have cracks. Also check with a fork or knife for doneness. You can also do this on a gas stove. Just roast it on fire and peel off the skin. That would be quick and easy.

Baingan Bhartha

Once that is done, take Eggplant out, let it cool and then peel off the skin. Mash it slightly and keep aside.
Heat oil in a pan. Add asofoetida and turmeric and saute for few seconds. Add finely chopped onions. Mix well and saute until the onions turn translucent. Add the ginger garlic paste and let it cook till the onions start turning golden brown.

Add the chopped tomatoes and the frozen peas, if using and cook till the oil separates from the mixture. Keep stirring and make sure that it does not get burnt.

    Baingan Bhartha 1                  Baingan Bhartha 2

Add salt,garam masala, cumin powder, coriander powder, red chilly powder and the finely chopped green chillies. Saute for a minute.

Add the mashed eggplant and mix well. Let it cook closed and on medium flame for few minutes. Add ½ cup of water at this stage if required.
Do a taste check and switch off when the masala is well mixed with the eggplant and peas. Garnish with fresh chopped coriander leaves. I like to keep it aside for half an hour before serving. This will help the flavors to get set well.

Baingan Bhartha 4

Serve hot with chapathi, roti etc

Recipe Courtesy: Show me the curry

No comments:

Post a Comment