Monday, April 22, 2013

Sabudana Kichadi

The first time I had this yummy kichadi was from my friends lunch box. Loved it and I learnt how to prepare it in exchange of teaching him Chicken biriyani, Chicken being his favorite J.  I introduced this dish to AJ and it was a hit. This being really quick and easy to prepare, it is now our regular lunch box item. I don't exactly remember the quantities and ingredients which he taught me, but this is how I prepare it now. I think I did slightly change it according to our tastes. Anyways - this is for you Mr. Brain. Ohh.. Sorry.. Mr. Brian J. It has been a long time since we spoke. But I always remember you every time I prepare this J 

Sabudhana 1

Ingredients:

    Sabudana                  --   1 cup
    Peanuts                     --   2 cups
    Green Chillies         --   4 - 5
    Red Chillies             --   2 - 3
    Mustard Seeds       --   1 tsp
    Cumin Seeds           --   1 tbsp
    Turmeric Powder --   ¼ tsp
    Coriander Leaves --  ¼ cup, chopped
    Lemon Juice           --   1 tsp
    Salt                             --   as required
    Oil                               --   1 tbsp

Sabudhana 2

Preparation:

Soak the sabudana for minimum of 2 hours. You can soak up to 8 hours for a soft texture. But we like it when soaked for 2 - 3 hours, a bit bite texture.

Dry roast the peanuts until they are slightly brown. You can use peanuts with their skin. When cool, grind it into a coarse powder. Keep aside.

Make sure you do not grind too much. Oil comes out of the peanuts and it becomes a paste. Powdered peanuts have a long shelf life and hence I usually prepare a huge batch. This helps to prepare the kichadi quick and easy.

Drain the sabudana and keep aside.

Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan. Add the mustard seeds. Let it splutter. Add the broken red chillies, cumin seeds and the slit green chillies and saute for a minute. Add turmeric powder and give a mix.Now add the drained sabudana and mix well. Saute for a couple of mins or until the sabudana starts to be transparent. If you do not soak it for a long time, not all the balls become transparent. Switch off the flame.

Add the peanut powder and mix well. Add salt and give a mix. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and lemon juice.

Optionally, you can add potatoes cubed and boiled. Add this before adding the sabudana and fry for a minute. We are not great fans of potato and hence avoid this usually.

I love to have this as such or with chutney or with any thick gravy masalas. I am not sure if this is usually accompanied with anything else, but this is how we love it J

Sabudhana 3

     
Recipe Courtesy: Brian Fernandes / Myself.   

3 comments: