Monday, July 18, 2011

Beetroot Thoran / Stir Fry

My space here is filled in non-vegetarian recipes. Being from Kerala, where  a meal is not complete without a thoran / stir fry, I thought I need to have some of those here too.

The main reason why I do not have any such varieties is that I always cook for just two of us and never prepare as much as to fill in a bowl and click a picture – You know AJ was not a big fan of veggies; yeah I meant - “WAS” .

But nowadays I cook for 1 – 2 days at once and hence my veggie dishes also gets a chance to pose J

Beetroot Thoran 1

Ingredients(Serves 2 - 3):

Beetroot                      --   1 large
Green chillies            --   3 - 4
Shallots                       --   1 - 2
Turmeric powder   --   ¼ tsp
Shredded Coconut  --   ¼ cup
Mustard seeds          --   1 tsp
Red chillies                --   1 - 2
Curry leaves              --   8 - 10 leaves
Oil                                   --   1 tbsp
Salt                                --   To taste

Beetroot Thoran 2

Preparation of thoran:

Cut the beetroot into small pieces. You can also use a grater but I feel grating makes it sweeter and so I do cut them usually. Cut the shallots into thin slices and slit the green chillies.

Mix the beetroot,shallots,green chillies,shredded coconut,turmeric powder,salt and curry leaves. Rub them thoroughly with your hands.

Beetroot Thoran 4

Heat oil in a pan. Add the mustard seeds and let it splutter. Add the red chillies and fry for few seconds. Now add the beet mixture and close the pan with the lid.

Let it cook on a very low flame. Stir in between to make sure that it does not burn.

Serve hot with rice.

Beetroot Thoran 3

30 comments:

  1. Pictures are awesome in your space. This poriyal is so attracting.

    Cheers,
    Uma
    http://umaskitchenexperiments.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Healthy and tasty stir fry..Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the thoran, looks so delicious and lovely way of cutting the veggie too! Nice clicks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very colorful and delicious looking stir fry. Would definitely try it out very soon.

    Deepa

    ReplyDelete
  5. healthy n taste thoran....i love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beet root thoran is my little ones' favorite. Looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely and healthy recipe.. Love the presentation too :)
    Indian Cuisine

    ReplyDelete
  8. I luv this veggie so much..Stir fry is always my fav too..looks yum

    ReplyDelete
  9. Simple yet tasty thoran...my daughter's favorite..liked your clicks

    ReplyDelete
  10. Colorful ,healthy thoran!!! Love the flavor of coconut & chillies against the sweetness of the beets!!
    Prathima Rao
    Prats Corner

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great presentation and looks so yum!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My favorite,looks super delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are right Nitha..Our meals are not complete without thorans. Donno why I too have not thought about clicking them. Thanks for the motivation. Actually there is so much variety of thorans.
    Loved ur beet thoran.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My fav .....that platter is so yummy ..I can polish it off :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. love beet thoran. This will be a variation to how i make. Will try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  16. this is the only dish with beets that I like. lovely colour.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Delicious thoran :) I always love beetroots and this recipe is yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's a clever way of cooking beetroot, Nitha. Love the ruby like colour!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the color ~ a great way to eat beetroots :)
    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  20. ...and mine is filled up with veg recipes, I need to do a whole list of Kerala non-veg...lol. Beetroot kazhichittu naalu kureyayi...your clicks make me yearn this veggie, ahh

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dear Nitha
    How are you? I like this recipe. I dont eat beetroot but will make it for my wife for sure.
    In my last blog, you wanted to know about the vegetable I used. Actually this vegetable Patol or Parmal grows in eastern India.It was not known down south. Can you imagine, I used carry this vegetable to Bangalore 20 years back!.
    See this link for the photo. (It is there in my earlier blog on this Patol.)
    http://www.tarladalal.com/glossary-pointed-gourd-1569i
    Have a nice weekend

    ReplyDelete
  22. a colorful thoran which can always attract kids...

    http://www.panchamrutham.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete