Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Masala Biscuit

This is a tea time snack, which I’ve seen only in the Malabar region. Though not sure if I had missed it out in other parts of Kerala. It is a good snack to munch on and on….
Ingredients:
All purpose flour                   --    1 cup
Baking powder                     --    1 tsp
Butter                                   --    1 stick (8 tbsp)
Curry leaves                         --    1 spring
Red Chillies                          --    2 - 3
Ginger                                  --    1 inch piece
Cumin seeds                         --    1 tsp
Asafoetida                            --    ¼ tsp
Salt                                      --    to taste
Sugar                                   --    2 tsp (more or less according to taste)
Preparation of Biscuit:
Mix the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Sift the mix 4 -5 times. Keep it aside.
Mince together curry leaves, cumin seeds, red chillies and ginger.
Bring the butter to room temperature. Add the minced mix to it. Add asafoetida. Mix well. Now add the flour mix spoon by spoon and knead to a soft dough.
 

Grease an aluminium foil and roll the dough into a circle of ¼ inch thickness. Cut into desired cookie shapes using a cookie cutter. I used my wine glass to cut them. You can also have decorations on them using your knife.
                              
Place them on the baking tray. Preheat the oven to 300 F. Bake for 15 – 20 minutes or until they turn golden brown. Make sure you don’t burn the cookies.

Recipe Courtesy: Mixed a couple of recipes from internet,

15 comments:

  1. Woww.. .wonderful recipe.. looks very tempting.. thanks for the awesome recipe.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey this something new to me..But looks so delicious..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nitha!!! Thanks for dropping by at my space dear! ;)

    Masala Biscuits looks great, new to me! Loved ur blog and every recipe with demo pics! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow ..."Masala Biscuit"..had it several times but did not know the recipe..
    This looks great and yummy...thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  5. hello nitks ..one of the tea time favorite snack..masala biscuit..looks so delicious dearif u don't mind parcel this yarr..
    lovely pictures da

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi there...thanks for dropping by my blog....u have an amazing space here...shall drop by :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Biscuits looks so good...I love savory ones...yours sounds very flavorful :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow.. that sounds delicious adn new! Very creative recipe

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi nitha thnx for visiting my blog...great layout you have got for the blog...and yes the masala biscuits must be a lovely snack....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thnx for visiting my blog dear!!! Actually i was googling around for this recipe but had found very less ones.... I m really loving it :) will try post it in my blog :) Nd m following U :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. love this biscuit and am gonna try it soon

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nitha, tried the recipe - been wanting to since long, finally innale athum sambhavichu :)
    1 stick butter was too much, and my biscuits were not hard enough to be called biscuits - had a hard time making them into biscuit shape, added at least 1/4 cup more flour. After that I could shape it fine, but it tasted too much of butter and took like 40 mins to bake!
    But to me they tasted very good (I do love butter!), and I felt real happy since its been too long since I had masala biscuits, and they have always been my fav :) So danksey, for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. ayyo.. did you melt the butter or just brought it to room temperature? Bring it to room temp. it was not hard as the biscuits that we get back in Kerala. But it was easy to handle... and was also easy to get in shape.

    ReplyDelete